This magical and mysterious and religious place was restored by Sir Everard Hambro in 1903. It was re-consecrated that year and the first service in several centuries performed on the Feast of St Catherine 25th November 1903 by the Reverend Herbert Pentin. Pentin had been instrumental in its sympathetic restoration, and he was an antiquary, researching Milton Abbas history and delivering lectures to the then Dorset Natural History and Antiquarian Field Club.
The Milton Abbas Local History Group have all the copies of the Proceedings of the now Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society from its beginning in 1876 up to 1939, as well as transcriptions of letters from Pentin to the Bishop of Salisbury concerning the restoration of the chapel.
Much more information on St Catherine’s Chapel is available on our website.