We have 82 Ale House Licence records covering the pubs in the Old Town 1754 – 1770. We have the names and locations of at least 3 pubs in the thriving old town.
Most unfortunately there are then no more records until 1821. We do not know if this is because the records are missing or Lord Milton did not allow “any inn or alehouse or place of public entertainment” in the new village. We know that Lord Milton did not allow this from deeds dated 1780 and 1787 to tenants of the “new building” in the new village.
The present Hambro Arms was previously known as the Portarlington Arms and the Earl of Dorchester, but does not occur in any record we have found prior to 1821.