Milton Abbas Local History Group
These were published for Dorset in 1880, 1885, 189, 1895, 1898, 1907, 1911, 1915, 1920, 1923, 1927, 1931, 193 and 1939. Each has a section on Milton Abbas.
We have copies of these as pdf files and they show the changes in the village of Milton Abbas over time, as well as listing the trades and occupations of the people here.
Kelly’s Dorset 1880
MILTON ABBAS is a parish and pretty village (formerly a market town), in Whiteway hundred, Cerne sub-division, Blandford union and county court district, Whitechureh rural deanery fourth portion, Dorset archdeaconry, and Salisbury diocese, 7 miles south-west from Blandford, and 11 north east from Dorchester, delightfully situated, surrounded by scenery of the most picturesque description. The present appellation of this place is a contraction of its ancient name of Middleton, the adjunct being given from its ancient lords the abbots. The parish church of St. James, built at the sole expense of the first Earl of Dorchester, is of stone, end consists of chancel and nave, with a tower containing a clock and 2 bells. The earliest register dates from 1050. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £177, with good residence, in the jurisdiction of the peculiar court of Milton Abbas, and in the gift of Charles Hambro esq. D.L. and held by the Rev. Richard Roberts B.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, An almshouse for six persons founded and endowed by John Tregonwell esq. in 1674 ; the inmates receive an allowance in money weekly, and some articles of clothing arid money annually on St. Thomas’ day. A Benedictine monastery, dedicated to St. Mary, St. Michael, St. Branwalader, and St. Sampson, was founded here in 933 by King Athelstan, the revenue of which, at the Dissolution, was about £720. The Abbey church, with the exception of the nave, was built in the reign of Edward II and is a magnificent structure, in the Decorated and Later English styles ; service is held here occasionally : the old abbey buildings were taken down in 1771, with the exception of the refectory, and replaced by the present splendid mansion, called Milton Abbey, the seat of Charles J. T. Hambro esq. D.L. lord of the manor : the park and woods of this estate extend over an area of 5,000 acres. A Cottage Hospital was built and endowed by the late Baron Hambro : it was opened on the 1st August, 1873, and is supported by voluntary subscription. There is here also a brewery and a co-operative society. Charles Hamhro esq. D.L. is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is, high land, light loam ; low land, heavy clay ; subsoil, high land, chalky ; low land, clay. The area is 2,420 acres ; rateable value, £5,306; the population in 1871 was 942.
Parish Clerk, George Foot.
Post, money order & telegraph office, Savings Bank & Government Annuity & Insurance Office.— Edward George, receiver. London & other letters are received through Blandford ; arrive at 8.50 a.m. & are dispatched at 4 50 p.m.; the box is closed at 4.45 pm.
Parish, School William Marlow, master ; Mrs. Elizabeth Marlow, mistress.
Carrier.— David Frizzle, to Blandford, Mnonday & Thursday ; to Dorchester, Wednesday & Saturday
Fielding, Thomas M.D.
Hambro Charles Joseph Theophilus D.L., J.P., Milton Abbey
Roberts, Rev. Richard B A, vicar
Bignal, James farm bailiff to Charles J. T. Hambro esq. D.L.
Co-operative Stores, George Foot, manager
Cox, John, farmer
Fielding, Thomas M.D. surgeon
Fookes & House, brewers & maltsters
Frizzle, David, carrier
George, Edward, builder & shopkeeper
Guy, Albert, blacksmith
Haynes, John, corn miller, Milton mills
Ingram, George, farmer
Jacob, John, carpenter & wheelwright
Keynes, Thomas, farmer, Chescomb farm
Mitchell, James, blacksmith
Player, William wheelwright & carpenter
Rogers, William John, shoemaker
Sanders, John, blacksmith
Satchell, Robert, grocer & baker
Tett, John, farmer
Vacher, Absolom, shopkeeper
Vine, Sl. Hambro Arms inn, & butcher