Not Milton Abbas, but some news which may be of interest to those interested in prehistory and archaeology is a new study of Mount Pleasant, Dorchester. I have found this enigmatic henge the most interesting of all prehistoric monuments since I first learned of it twenty years ago. It is one of only five mega-henges, and is about 350m across, it is the only one of these built on top of a hill and it had a complete inner palisade of 1300 tree trunks up to 1.6 m diameter and standing 5m above ground. It must have looked stunning in the landscape, but what its purpose was no one now knows. It is now a ploughed field near The Trumpet Major, Dorchester, and was excavated in the 1970s by Geoffrey Wainwright. The artefacts which were uncovered are stored in the Dorset County Museum and it is these which have provided the new radiocarbon dates which shows that it was built around 2500BC in just 100 years. There is also an article in Current Archaeology Feb 2021. For more information and reports, contact us.
- Follow Milton Abbas Local History Group, Dorset, UK on WordPress.com
Is £10 per annum for UK only, Oct to Oct.
Please contact us for payment details.
Our new season of meetings will start Wed 6 Oct 2021, then the first Wednesday of every month until Jun 2022.
Our meeting 6 Oct at 19:30 GMT will be our AGM followed by Chris Fookes' 'Milton Abbas Oddities'.
We will be meeting in the Reading Rooms, Milton Abbas and also via ZOOM.
Our meeting 3 Nov 2021 19:30 GMT will be 'Our Records and Where to find them', by Bryan Phillip
- About Us
- AA Road Sign of Milton Abbas
- Luke and John Harrison
- The Drowned Village of Milton Abbas?
- Milton Abbas School?
- The Coffin in the Crypt
- King Athelstan’s Encampment
- St Catherines Chapel
- Date of upstairs Range in The Street, Milton Abbas – 1780 or 1820?
- Capability Brown bridge?
- Pubs and Alehouses – where were they between 1770 and 1821?
- St James Church before 1786
- Ironwork of unknown use
- Fast Books
- Gayle, Gail, Gaill, Gale, Gayl or Gaile Money
- Get involved
- Lloyd George Domesday Assessment
- World War I Research
- Jobs to do
- Old Town of Milton/Middleton Project
- Parish Boundary
- Milton Abbey
- Kelly’s Directories
- Field Names
- Family History
- Oral Histories
- Members section
- Programme of Meetings 2020 – 2021
- Notes of Meetings
- Database of Records
- Milton Abbas Documents
- Milton Abbas Churchwardens Accounts 1638 – 1805
- Milton Abbas in the 1950’s
- Architecture of Milton Abbas
- Duel between Vere, Earl Poulett and Joseph, Lord Milton January 1771
- Early Days at Milton Abbey School
- Milton Abbas Grammar School 400 Years
- Milton Abbas in the 18th Century
- Researching Settlement Examinations
- George Heywood Sumner 1873 – 1940
- A History of Celebrating the Christmas Period
- Peasant Life in Milton Abbas – serfdom and slavery?
- Current Archaeology, Aug 2020
- St James Clock
- Questionnaire Analysis
- Overlay of Woodward 1770 Survey on drone view of Milton Abbas
- List of Printed Documents for Members
- Dorset Brothers at War, Jessica Christian
- Transcription of Old Town Map Details D-919/5
- Transcriptions Churchwardens’ Accounts
- Overseers of the Poor Books
- MALHG Constitution