This excellent book by John Styles is just what we wanted to understand more of the social history of the 18th century. In particular, did the people in Milton Abbas have disposable income to buy new clothes? How much social status was attached to the clothes that were worn? How many changes of clothes did they have? What might they have worn to work? To Church?
- Follow Milton Abbas Local History Group, Dorset, UK on WordPress.com
Is £10 per annum for UK only, Oct to Oct.
Please contact us for payment details.
Milton Abbas, Alms house, Reading Room - 19.30 - 22:00
1st Feb 2023 Graham Colls (from Okeford Fitzpaine) presents:- 'Crimes in 17th Century Dorset'
1st Mar 2023 Clive Barnes 'The Wool Stealers Gang'
5th April 2023 Helier Exon 'The History of St Catherine's Chapel and the surrounding area'
Non Member Visitors are welcome @ £2 / head. Why not pop in and say hello.
- About Us
- AA Road Sign of Milton Abbas
- Luke and John Harrison
- The Drowned Village of Milton Abbas?
- Milton Abbas School?
- The Coffin in the Crypt
- King Athelstan’s Encampment
- St Catherine’s Chapel
- Date of upstairs Range in The Street, Milton Abbas – 1780 or 1820?
- Capability Brown bridge?
- Pubs and Alehouses – where were they between 1770 and 1821?
- St James Church before 1786
- Ironwork of unknown use
- Fast Books
- Gayle, Gail, Gaill, Gale, Gayl or Gaile Money
- Get involved
- Lloyd George Domesday Assessment
- World War I Research
- Jobs to do
- Old Town of Milton/Middleton Project
- Parish Boundary
- Milton Abbey
- Kelly’s Directories
- Field Names
- Family History
- Oral Histories
- Members section
- The Milton Abbas Pendant
- MEMBERS GARDEN PARTY
- Notes of Meetings
- Old Town Project Group report
- Database of Records
- Milton Abbas Documents
- Catalogue of the tiles in St. Catherine’s Chapel
- Milton Abbas Churchwardens Accounts 1638 – 1805
- Milton Abbas in the 1950’s
- Architecture of Milton Abbas
- Duel between Vere, Earl Poulett and Joseph, Lord Milton January 1771
- Early Days at Milton Abbey School
- Milton Abbas Grammar School 400 Years
- Milton Abbas in the 18th Century
- Researching Settlement Examinations
- George Heywood Sumner 1873 – 1940
- A History of Celebrating the Christmas Period
- Peasant Life in Milton Abbas – serfdom and slavery?
- Current Archaeology, Aug 2020
- St James Clock
- Questionnaire Analysis
- Overlay of Woodward 1770 Survey on drone view of Milton Abbas
- List of Printed Documents
- Dorset Brothers at War, Jessica Christian
- Transcription of Old Town Map Details D-919/5
- Transcriptions Churchwardens’ Accounts
- Overseers of the Poor Books
- MALHG Constitution