In our transcription of the Sunday School records of 1789, one boy is given the job of “Usher” and receives more money than the other attendees. We have not been able to find out what the role of usher at Sunday School was this soon after their foundation. We would be grateful if any of our readers would care to research this. It is no use typing “usher” into Google as it brings up thousands of results for modern day America!
This entry was posted in local history, transcription. Bookmark the permalink.
- Follow Milton Abbas Local History Group, Dorset, UK on WordPress.com
Is £10 per annum for UK only, Oct to Oct.
Please contact us for payment details.
Milton Abbas, Alms house, Reading Room - 19.30 - 22:00
3 May 2023 Anne Litchfield ‘The building of Lord Damer’s new great house’
7 Jun 2023 Bryan Phillips ‘Milton Abbas place names and their meanings, part 2’
5 Jul 2023 Clive Barnes. ‘The building of Milton Abbas’
Non Member Visitors are welcome @ £2 / head. Why not pop in and say hello.
- About Us
- AA Road Sign of Milton Abbas
- Luke and John Harrison
- The Drowned Village of Milton Abbas?
- Milton Abbas School?
- The Coffin in the Crypt
- King Athelstan’s Encampment
- St Catherine’s Chapel
- Date of upstairs Range in The Street, Milton Abbas – 1780 or 1820?
- Capability Brown bridge?
- Pubs and Alehouses – where were they between 1770 and 1821?
- St James Church before 1786
- Ironwork of unknown use
- Fast Books
- Gayle, Gail, Gaill, Gale, Gayl or Gaile Money
- Get involved
- Lloyd George Domesday Assessment
- World War I Research
- Jobs to do
- Old Town of Milton/Middleton Project
- Parish Boundary
- Milton Abbey
- Kelly’s Directories
- Field Names
- Family History
- Oral Histories
- Members section
- The Wool Stealers of Milton Abbas
- The Milton Abbas Pendant
- MEMBERS GARDEN PARTY
- Notes of Meetings
- Old Town Project Group report
- Database of Records
- Milton Abbas Documents
- Catalogue of the tiles in St. Catherine’s Chapel
- Milton Abbas Churchwardens Accounts 1638 – 1805
- Milton Abbas in the 1950’s
- Architecture of Milton Abbas
- Duel between Vere, Earl Poulett and Joseph, Lord Milton January 1771
- Early Days at Milton Abbey School
- Milton Abbas Grammar School 400 Years
- Milton Abbas in the 18th Century
- Researching Settlement Examinations
- George Heywood Sumner 1873 – 1940
- A History of Celebrating the Christmas Period
- Peasant Life in Milton Abbas – serfdom and slavery?
- Current Archaeology, Aug 2020
- St James Clock
- Questionnaire Analysis
- Overlay of Woodward 1770 Survey on drone view of Milton Abbas
- List of Printed Documents
- Dorset Brothers at War, Jessica Christian
- Transcription of Old Town Map Details D-919/5
- Transcriptions Churchwardens’ Accounts
- Overseers of the Poor Books
- MALHG Constitution
- Medieval Peasant Life
Thanks for looking it up. But what were the duties of an usher in an 18th century Sunday School? I have looked for Sunday School instruction books, but they mention the lessons but not the usher.
The quote seems to indicate that an usher would be an assistant to whoever was running a particular class in the Sunday school, so presumably they would take on some appropriate part of the duties of that person.