Milton Abbas Local History Group, Dorset, UK

Milton Abbas village transport

This very handsome Victorian semi-detached property replaced one of the original 1780 cob and thatch cottages, probably when the latter burnt down or fell down.

The right hand house was once the location of the village bus service to Blandford and Dorchester.  The bus was parked up the drive, there was a petrol pump here, complete with tank and piping.

Kelly’s Directory for 1939 records: Carriers.–Sidney Harmer, with motor omnibus, to
Blandford, tues. & thurs.; to Dorchester, daily (except thurs).

In 1923 the carriers are listed in Kelly’s as Robert Lovell and Andrew Bolt.

Before motorised transport this property housed the horse and cart and stabling is evident at the rear of the building.